BURN THREE TIMES AS A MANY CALORIES WITH THE SINGLE BEST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT
Old time boxers knew what they were doing. According to the Compendium of Physical Studies, jumping rope for ten minutes can burn as many calories as jogging at an eight minute per mile pace. No wonder many fitness experts call the jump rope the best all around piece of exercise equipment you can own. Here are five reasons to learn the ropes:
1. COST. Unlikea treadmill, elliptical or other high-tech cardio machine, jump ropes sell for about $15 and a good one should last for many years- if not decades.
2. PORTABILITY. You can take it anywhere and use it in or outdoors.
3. STRENGTH GAIN. Jumping builds bone mineral density and improves total body power. Athletes have used it to improve their vertical jumping height.
4. IMPROVED COORDINATION. The jump rope forces you to keep a rhythmic pace and use proper form or you will trip up.
5. FAT LOSS. Jumping rope involves nearly every muscle. Some peoplereport that it's the only cardio they need to lose fat.
This beginner's routine will jump start your conditioning
Jump for 30 reps swinging the rope forward. If you trip up, it's okay, just continue until you reach 30. Rest 30 seconds and do another 30 reps, this time swinging the rope backward (caution: backwards is harder). Rest again. That is one set. Perform between four and eight sets depending on your endurance. If you have never jumped rope beforeor haven't done it in a while, imitate a jump rope workout for a few days (i.e. pretend you are using a rope and rotate your wrists in time with your jumps). You may feel silly, but you will learn timint and condition your body to use the rope.